Treat it

Before you get treated you will need to have a test.

  • What does testing involve?

    Testing is easy and usually involves providing a simple urine sample. Testing may also involve a throat or anal swab if you have had unprotected oral or anal sex. If you are a woman, you may also be asked for a lower vaginal swab which you can do quickly and easily yourself if you prefer.

  • Where can I go for a test?

    There are lots of places you can go for a confidential test, including your general practitioner doctor, family planning clinic or sexual health clinic. Find a clinic to get tested for STIs

    You can also complete our online risk self-assessment; we will provide you with a free PathWest pathology test form you can take with you to any PathWest collection centre to get tested for chlamydia and gonorrhoea even if you don’t have any symptoms.

  • If the test is positive, what does treatment involve?

    If your urine test comes back with a positive result for either chlamydia, gonorrhoea or maybe both, then the treatment for these is easy. It is usually just a one-dose treatment or a short course of antibiotics.

  • How do I tell my partner?

    If your test is positive you may have infected your sex partner(s). Any person you have had sex with has a right to know if they are also infected. It is your responsibility to let them know and allows them to get help, if they need it. You also have a right to know if your partner is infected.

    Learn more about how to stop the spread.